Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fear well-founded

Fear well-foundedTitle: Fear well-founded
11"x14" - mixed media on canvas

Inspiration: Some fears are real and for good reason.
The danger is in ignoring them.







At the end of August, I attended Fan Expo in Toronto. For those who don't know, it's Canada's biggest convention for gaming, anime, comics, sci fi, and horror. There are all kinds of fans there. Some folks get very into it, even dressing and acting as their favourite characters. Though it may seem a bit excessive, it's all in good fun.

Shortly after returning home, I was witness to a couple of incidents involving the darker side of fandom. I won't bore you with the details, but I will say it was an eye-opener. When someone takes their love of something--or someone--to the extreme and becomes obsessed, there is no stopping them. That really scares me.

1 comment: